Date:      Sat, 24 Mar 2001 02:35:19 -0600
From:      "Jeffrey J. Mountin" <jeff-ml@mountin.net>
To:        Shawn Ramsey <shawn@cpl.net>, Jim King <jim@jimking.net>, Ed Henderson <Ed.Henderson@Certainty.net>
Cc:        isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Good server motherboard?

At 04:57 PM 3/23/01 -0800, Shawn Ramsey wrote:
>On Fri, Mar 23, 2001 at 06:04:09PM -0600, Jim King wrote:
> > "Ed Henderson" <Ed.Henderson@Certainty.net> wrote:
> > >I plan to use AMD Athlon chips, tower case, IDE drives/peripherals,
> > >at least 256MB RAM.  Budget is limited since we are just beginning:
> > >approx. $1300 per server (not including tape drive which is seperate
> > >see #3 below).  Servers will host typical ISP apps: DNS, RADIUS,
> > >mail, Apache, etc.
> >
> > When I looked a couple months ago none of the Athlon motherboards supported
> > ECC memory.  Considering the amount of potential grief you'll avoid by
> using
> > ECC memory I'd say that Athlon shouldn't be considered. :-(
> >
> > Jim
>
>Perhaps that was true then, certainly not now. Besides, I have never seen a
>problem caused by using non-ECC memory. Thats not to say that ECC memory
>shouldn't be used, but from what I have seen it is an unneccesary expense.
>Though I do believe the most RAM you can currently get on an Athlon MB is
>2GB, so if you need more than that your out of luck.

The VIA KT133 does not support ECC and can support only 3 DIMMs for 1.5 GB
of memory.  The KX133 did support ECC and up to 4 DIMMS for 2 GB of memory.

At least VIA did not continue with the lack of ECC support.  The KT266 will
support it and up to 4 GB.  Of course PC DDR200/266 SDRAM (aka PC1600/2100)
is a bit pricy.  However the chipset can use PC133 SDRAM.  Dependent on the
MB of course.

As for ECC, using it (or not) doesn't "cause" problems.  It can detect and
correct them and is highly recommended for servers, especially when filling
memory to capacity.  The same for using registered memory, which is
required with many chipsets/boards when using more than 2 DIMMs.  The price
difference is small for the peace of mind should there be a problem with
the memory.  Ask anyone that has had to track down a memory problem or
wonder why they cannot add a 3rd or 4th module when they didn't use
registered memory.

Of course with an Athlon system using the KT133 chipset you would be best
served by using high quality memory, such as Micron.  More so since ECC is
not an option.

Jeff Mountin - jeff@mountin.net
Systems/Network Administrator
FreeBSD - the power to serve