Date:      Thu, 30 Nov 1995 22:23:23 -0500 (EST)
From:      John Fieber <jfieber@indiana.edu>
To:        Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
Cc:        Peter Marelas <maral@webnet.com.au>, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Documentation..

On Mon, 27 Nov 1995, Terry Lambert wrote:

> > 	Due to all the argueing about the lack of documentation, why dont
> > we all stop bitching, and do ourselves a favour by writing docs, on
> > what we have experience in, when using freebsd, lets get the handbook
> > growing.
>
> For things like IBCS2, this would be makework.  For others, this would

Ahem, it certainly would not be makework.  Of course, it only needs to be
a paragraph or so, but there should be *some* clear statement that FreeBSD
offers SCO compatibility, and the (known) extent/limitations of that
compatibility.  Oh, and by the way you have to turn it on.  You can turn
it on manually by typing "ibcs2", or to have it loaded automatically at
boot, edit /etc/sysconfig appropriately.  I can't think of a better place
to put this than in a handbook chapter on compatibilty with other systems.

If we advertise SCO compatibilty, but the user has to do something to
enable it, what the user has to do darn well better be documented.  I
don't buy the "it has no options, it needs no man page" argument.
Besides, some threads on these mailing lists are a testament to the fact
that SCO compatibility is *not* as straight-forward as typing ibcs2 and
going merrily along your way.  (hopefully it will one day be like
that...)

-john

== http://fieber-john.campusview.indiana.edu/~jfieber ============