Date:      Sun, 16 Mar 2003 03:58:34 +0000
From:      Jonathon McKitrick <jcm@FreeBSD-uk.eu.org>
To:        David Kelly <dkelly@HiWAAY.net>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: When does it make sense for a company to open-source its code?

On Sat, Mar 15, 2003 at 08:25:23PM -0600, David Kelly wrote:
: On Saturday 15 March 2003 04:58 pm, Jonathon McKitrick wrote:
: >
: > The company I work at designs scientific instruments controlled from
: > a host PC.  That PC has to run Windows right now.  However, I am
: > being asked to look into porting at least some of the software,
: > possibly just the hardware control components, to Linux/Unix.
: [...]
: > What might be some guidelines to follow to decide what should be made
: > open source (BSD license) and what should be binary-only?  Could we
: > practically do both?  If binary-only is becoming widely unacceptable,
: > what else could be done to protect our intellectual property?

8<----------------
: If I'm not mistaken, the I/O hardware for the data collection industry
: has pretty much unified and standardized on clones of National
: Intruments products? And somehow/someway yours differ?

Actually, what I am calling a 'driver' is more of a controller, which is
just a translator of commands to send through the actual interface, be it
serial, GPIB (NI), IP, and so on.

Jonathon
--
For Sale: French Army rifle.  Never fired, dropped once.