Date:      Tue, 5 Apr 2005 22:40:11 GMT
From:      Dmitry Pryanishnikov <dmitry@atlantis.dp.ua>
To:        freebsd-i386@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: i386/78929: atapicam prevents boot, system hangs

The following reply was made to PR i386/78929; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Dmitry Pryanishnikov <dmitry@atlantis.dp.ua>
To: freebsd-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.org, harrycoin@quietfountain.com
Date: Wed, 06 Apr 2005 01:35:30 +0300

 Hello!

  I've got another piece of information to add. I've repeated experiments
 with the
 NEC DVD RW ND-3520A drive. Results are very close to AOpen CRW5232,
 except that
 solid system hang doesn't take forever - system boot continues in
 several minutes,
 giving the possibility to capture all relevant information. Again, on
 ICH4 ATAPICAM
 initializes normally:

     ftp://external.atlantis.dp.ua/FreeBSD/PR/78929/dmesg.NEC.ICH4

 while on Promise Ultra 100 TX2 it will take several minutes to get to
 /sbin/init,
 and then ATAPICAM will retry attachment every minute (and doesn't
 succeed - /dev/cd0
 doesn't appear while /dev/acd0 does):

     ftp://external.atlantis.dp.ua/FreeBSD/PR/78929/dmesg.NEC.Promise

   My conclusion: there is some (timing?) problem in ATAPICAM
 initialization code path, which luckily doesn't manifest itself on ICH4
 (or if drive is in PIO mode),
 but manifests on Promise Ultra with ATAPI drive in UDMA mode.

 Sincerely, Dmitry
 --
 Atlantis ISP, System Administrator
 nic-hdl: LYNX-RIPE