Date:      Thu, 28 Aug 1997 11:11:43 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        nick <jmc@pathway.net>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: your mail

On Wed, Aug 27, 1997 at 07:34:19PM -0400, nick wrote:
> I am a new user and would really Like to learn UNIX.
>
> Last christmas I bought LINUX and couldn't get it to install.
>
> NOW I purchased the COMPLETE FREEBSD book and CDs.
> I did get it to install came to a DOS looking screen with a dollar sign symbol.
> BUT COULDN"T DO  A THING.... :(

You could have read the book.  Start at Chapter 9.  If there's
anything there which you don't understand, please tell me.

> I loaded everything I could from the list and was expecting X-WINDOWS screen
> to look like windows...

Did you start X?  Look at page 100 if you haven't seen it already.

> COULD YOU HELP recommend further books, methods of installing, programs, or
> something to begin learning FREEBSD .......I really like to learn.

Well, CFBSD is the only book currently in English, but there are
plenty of Japanese ones :-)

Seriously, one reason for the lack of books on FreeBSD is that there
are so many UNIX books, and FreeBSD *is* UNIX (no matter what the
owners of the trademark say).  I think that "UNIX for the Impatient",
by Paul Abrahams and Bruce Larson, published by Addison-Wesley, might
be a good choice for you.

Greg