Date:      Mon, 16 Aug 1999 08:22:42 +0000
From:      Marcel Moolenaar <marcel@scc.nl>
To:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Linuxulator: emulation? [was: Q: Extending the sysctl MIB...]

Warner Losh wrote:

> In message <199908151724.KAA13658@dingo.cdrom.com> Mike Smith writes:
> : We're staying away from the term "emulation" because it's being
> : associated with things like the abominable 'lxrun' and virtual-machine
> : emulators like VMware.
>
> Also, there is a perception that "emulation" is slower than native,
> which isn't the case for the Linux ABI in FreeBSD.

The Linuxulator adds overhead, which does make it slower than native. Take
for example the overlaying of /compat/linux. File/dir access-bound
applications (such as find) pay the penalty.
Other areas of overhead are translations of bitmaps and/or structures. In
general, the overhead is minimal, but nonetheless there's overhead and
there're cases in which you can definitely see a performance drop as
compared to native execution.

I qualify the Linuxulator as an emulator. Although we are lucky to not have
to emulate an architecture (see /usr/ports/emulators for examples) or a
subset of an instruction set (option MATH_EMULATE for example), we do have
to emulate an OS interface.

The Linuxulator isn't a compatability thingy, because we're not that good
an emulator. You cannot replace the one with the other and not see any
side-effects.

The emotional argument that as to why we stay away from the term
"emulation" does not mean that the Linuxulator isn't an emulator, we're
just calling it differently...

anyway, my Euro 0.02 :-)

--
Marcel Moolenaar                                  mailto:marcel@scc.nl