Date:      Fri, 14 Dec 2001 17:31:24 EST
From:      HP889@aol.com
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Cc:        isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   RE: 3Com driver problems

>>  with 3Com905B devices.
>>  And a quick search did not reveal any major problems with the 3com cards.
>
> A "quick search" of what?  Get some perspective. The "hackers" are only
> interested in cards that they use, and they all use intel for high end
stuff.
> Bill paul is too busy writing drivers for some new gigabit card to worry
> about old stuff. (note that most of his drivers are optimised for the Alpha
> and not i386...like what pct of people are using Alpha?) And there is
> apparantly no interest in fixing anything or finding out whats wrong
because
> some guy at freebsd with a 2 inch weener keeps knocking me off the
> list...they dont like criticism. I've already fixed it, so all im trying to
> do is save you a lot of time doing work thats already been done.

>Actually, the cards are very much optimized for the i386.  See the lack of
>using bus_dma for example, which is required for these cards to work on
things
>ike sparc64.  Grow up and realize that not all the world is an i386.  Ports
>like sparc64, powerpc, ia64, and x86-64 are being added and they are not
>exactly like the i386.  I've used 3com cards (xl(4)) without any problems.

>They are rather nice cards and Bill Paul prefers those to Intel cards since
>Intel is so nazi with its docco. :)

>To Guret:

>Please don't listen to Dennis.  He is feeding you lies so that you will go
buy?
>his "better" ethernet drivers.  He is very obnoxious and thus has been banned
>from the lists several times.  This is just another one of his silly aliases.

We dont sell ethernet drivers, and Im not trying to "hide". Why does linux
have specific code to disable the stats under load if Im making this up? Why
can you lock up a FreeBSD 4.4 system with a 3com card at 20Kpps due to
counter overflow interrupts in about 3 seconds?

Its too bad that pointing out bugs is deemed as being obnoxious. Maybe its
why they were complaining that linux outperforms Freebsd last week?

Guret, I apologize for trying to help. Im sure these fellows at freebsd.org
will work painstakingly to help you find your problem. But since they are in
denial about there being anything wrong with it, you most likely are sunk.

Try to front end your machine with a switch...the 5 cards is most likely your
problem. With each device you increase your bus contention (ie worsen the
worst case bus master scenario)...either that or get a 4 port card that is
more efficient than 5 individual cards.

DB