Date:      Sun, 2 Jun 2002 12:55:50 -0400
From:      Chad Day <cday@permanently.misplaced.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Help with Cox cable modem on FreeBSD 4.5

Hello.. I have a COX cable modem (northern virginia), and I'm kind of stuck now.  I've done a lot of reading of documentation about getting the cable modem to work, and some of it has helped.. but.. here's where I'm at now.

I login, after resetting my cable modem (I have to do this every time I switch between FreeBSD and my Windows machine -- seperate boxes).. I run dhclient xl0 for my card, and it gets me the IP address, router info, gateway, etc -- all successfully.  What happens next is the weird thing.. sometimes I can get about 2-3 minutes of normal connectivity.. never more than that, and sometimes not at all.  Then everything just dies.  I can't ping anything, including gateways or DNS servers at cox.. just packet loss everywhere.  Can't traceroute, can't ftp, nothing.  I can kill dhclient and start it again, and it appears to work again (gets an IP addr), but I can't do anything still.  I'm unsure why I am unable to maintain a connection.

When I run ifconfig after running dhclient, it looks correct -- it has my ip address, and all the other appropriate things.  Has anyone come across this problem before?  It's pretty frustrating to have like 2 minutes of connectivity, then poof.. nothing..  I feel like I'm so close to getting it working, but I'm missing something.

Thanks!
Chad