Date:      Tue, 15 Aug 1995 23:01:16 -0500 (CDT)
From:      john@starfire.mn.org
To:        ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   problems with hylafax-3.0.0

I am having two very different problems with hylafax on two different
systems, both running FreeBSD 2.0.5R(CD).  On both systems, I was
a little confused by the fact that /usr/local/sbin/faxaddmodem wanted
a /usr/local/bin/sed, which, while I think has been available in
previous releases of FreeBSD, doesn't seem to be part of FreeBSD 2.0.5
packages or ports.  Anyway, I just made a symbolic link to /usr/bin/sed,
and it seemed to run OK.  It also bothered me that if I tried to give
"0" for the tracing values (which I am not certain I entirely understand
anyway) it complained that only numeric values were allowed.

Here are the two different systems:

Dexter: 2-US Robotics Sportster 14,400 FAX (Class 1) modem on ttyd2(cuaa2)
and ttyd4(cuaa4) at 38400, crtscts (16550A's on an AST-4).  On this system,
I would like to be able to share my modems and phone lines with
incoming fax, outgoing fax, incoming login/uucp/SLIP/ppp, and outgoing
cu and uucp.  Is this a reasonable hope with these modems and this
setup?  I have had no luck getting faxgetty to ever make a data
connection.  I tried "Adaptive Answer" and "AnswerRotary: data fax"
with "AnswerBias: 0"  I can send FAX's just fine with this setup,
and I can receive faxes just fine if I don't try to share the line.

Webster: US Robotics Courier V.Everything 28.8kbps FAX modem (Class 2.0)
on COM1 (16550A) at 38400, crtscst.  This system would only be used
to send FAX's.  No incoming FAX's will come here.  This setup is
really screwy, becuase I get the following mailed back to me almost
instantly: