Date:      Tue, 11 May 1999 15:56:08 -0700
From:      Matthew Hunt <mph@astro.caltech.edu>
To:        "James A. Mutter" <jmutter@netwalk.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: How to change the shell?

On Tue, May 11, 1999 at 06:25:57PM -0400, James A. Mutter wrote:

> Well, if you can't mount "/usr" you can't load the libraries that bash
> needs.  No libraries, no bash.  No bash, no shell.  I think that's a
> problem.  :)

If you're in that situation, then you're probably working in
single-user mode, and so you were prompted for the shell to load
(with /bin/sh the default).

The notion that it's bad to make root's shell something other than
/bin/sh or /bin/csh holds little water on a FreeBSD system.

That said, "su -m" is your friend.

--
Matthew Hunt <mph@astro.caltech.edu> * Inertia is a property
http://www.pobox.com/~mph/           * of matter.