Date:      Tue, 23 Feb 1999 10:08:51 -0800
From:      James Brown <jb@syndicate.net>
To:        Evren Yurtesen <yurtesen@turkey.ispro.net.tr>
Cc:        Brad Benson <brad@cyberix.com>, freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: (2) no keyboard, no boot

> if you have award bios,
> get into the "standart CMOS setup"
> and then set "halt on:" option to "No errors"
> it would work....
> I have no clue if you have another manufacturers bios sorry :(
> let me know if it works...
> Evren

i've got ami bios with "F1 on any error" disabled.

> > Knowing the bios's in some of those older 386 and 486 machines I
> > would guess that the bios is the problem. Where does the boot stop?
> > What message does the machine give you? If it's before you get a
> > "boot:" prompt, it's probably the computer not FreeBSD.

yes, it does stop before the boot: prompt.  the last screen is
the hardware inventory, the last two lines are "256 kb cache
memory" and "160mhz cpu clock."  it will sit there forever but i
once i plug in a keyboard, it goes straight to the boot: prompt.

thanks for the quick responses everybody!

james