Date:      18 Aug 2002 09:23:49 -0700
From:      Ken McGlothlen <mcglk@artlogix.com>
To:        sroberts@dsl.pipex.com
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Add new service to newsyslog.conf?

Stacey Roberts <stacey@Demon.vickiandstacey.com> writes:

| Hello,
|      I've just enabled authenticated ftp access to a box, and I've
| created /var/log/ftpd so as to log ftp connection events.
|
| Its all working fine, but I would like to have newsyslog manage to log
| files generated (define rotation schedule, log-size limitation, etc).
| Could someone please advise me on doing this?

Well, most of the information you seek is in

        $ man newsyslog

I tend to prefer keeping the file not-world-readable (mode 600), rotated
monthly on the first day of the month, and keep them in gzipped form.  I also
prefer to keep archived logs for a year.  The way you'd write that in
/etc/newsyslog.conf is:

        /var/log/ftpd				600  12	   *	$M1D0	Z

C'mon back if you have any questions.