Date:      Wed, 2 Sep 1998 15:01:24 -0400 (EDT)
From:      The Hermit Hacker <scrappy@hub.org>
To:        David Chamberlain <david.chamberlain@ibm.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD, Apache and databases

On Wed, 2 Sep 1998, David Chamberlain wrote:

> OK, so back to the original question.  How do I do it?
>
> I saw a product called MySQL, which looks pretty good.  I can probably figure
> out how to install that and make it work from the instructions.

	I'm biased...MySQL has a commercial-use license, so for someone
that is worried about buying more hardware, you'll probably want to avoid
using MySQL.  Check out PostgreSQL (http://www.postgresql.org), which
falls under Berkeley license and is free for use, period.  No "unless you
use it for this, or this or this"...

> How do I get the data from the SQL server to the Web page.

	The most popular method for doing this appears to be to use PHP
(http://www.php.net), which is basically a highly evolved 'SSI' scripting
language.  I tend to prefer just building Perl CGIs, but if you are only
querying the database in order to display information, my experience with
PHP is that it is much faster to build up a WWW site using that, vs
CGIs...again, individual preferences might be different...