Date:      Mon, 27 Jun 2005 13:14:53 -0500
From:      Greg Barniskis <nalists@scls.lib.wi.us>
To:        Sean Murphy <smurphy@calarts.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Questions about packages and ports

Sean Murphy wrote:
> I like to use the pkg_add -r feature of FreeBSD, however I have run into
> a problem where the ports have a more current version of the app then
> the package of the same app.
>
> It seems the ports collection is updated more then the package
> collection is this true?

Yes. Packages are built from ports, so you can expect the ports
collection version to be as current or more current than the
available packages.

> Is the maintainer of a package and a port the same person?  Are they
> responsible for updating the package and the port?

I don't believe so, or at least it's not a requirement that I know
of. All maintainers are volunteers, and the load of maintaining the
port and building and distributing packages is typically distributed
over many volunteers.

> Packages will download dependencys required by the app does the ports do
> this as well?

I think this depends on the options that you specify (for either
packages or ports). Typically, though -- yes, building a port will
automatically build the dependencies.

More about packages & ports can be found in Chap. 4 of the Handbook:
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/ports.html

South Central Library System (SCLS)
Library Interchange Network (LINK)
<gregb at scls.lib.wi.us>, (608) 266-6348