Date:      Wed, 24 May 2000 13:08:13 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Brad Waite <brad@ssbaptist.net>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: problem newfsing vinum volume

On Tuesday, 23 May 2000 at 14:33:36 -0600, Brad Waite wrote:
> On Wed, 24 May 2000, Greg Lehey wrote:
>
>>> Now I try to do a newfs:
>>>
>>> # newfs -v /dev/vinum/whopper
>>> newfs: /dev/vinum/whopper: Input/output error
>>> # vinum l whopper
>>> V whopper               State: down     Plexes:       1 Size:        106 GB
>>>

>>> Why can't I newfs the volume?
>>
>> Because it's down.
>>
>> It's difficult to know why, since you haven't supplied the information
>> asked for in the man page and http://www.lemis.com/vinum/how-to-debug.html.
>
> It's difficult to supply the information asked for, since I wasn't aware of
> that url.  :)

That was only one of the alternatives.  It's also in vinum(4).

> As it turns out, it's happily newfsing now.  I hadn't init'ed it, so
> it couldn't be up, and couldn't be newfsed.  I read the part about a
> raid starting in the init state, but couldn't find anything about
> the init command until I stumbled across it in the list archives.

From vinum(8):

     init [-S] size [-w] plex | subdisk

             vinum init initializes a subdisk by writing zeroes to it.  You
             can initialize all subdisks in a plex by specifying the plex
             name.  This is the only way to ensure consistent data in a plex.
             You must perform this initialization before using a RAID-5 plex.
             It is also recommended for other new plexes.  vinum initializes
             all subdisks of a plex in parallel.  Since this operation can
             take a long time, it is normally performed in the background.  If
             you want to wait for completion of the command, use the -w (wait)
             option.

             Specify the -S option if you want to write blocks of a different
             size from the default value of 16 kB.  vinum prints a console
             message when the initialization is complete.

Greg