Date:      Sun, 13 Dec 1998 18:46:54 -0800 (PST)
From:      Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
To:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   'make clean' in /usr/src does not cleanup .o's or shared libs ?

    I'm trying to do a buildworld with /usr/src mounted read-only (via NFS).

    The buildworld has died several times trying to remove .o files, binaries,
    and libraries (*.so.*) from /usr/src that happened to be hanging around.

    Ok, I say... cd /usr/src on the physical machine and 'make clean'.

    Only problem is it doesn't work... it does not recursive through the entire
    source hierarchy.  For example, make clean in /usr/src does not bother
    recursing through /usr/src/bin, /usr/src/sbin, /usr/src/gnu, etc...

    It is *very* annoying.  Is there any particular reason why make clean
    in /usr/src does not clean the entire source hierarchy?

    Also, having to restart the buildworld from scratch every time it blows
    up and exits is also quite annoying.  It would be nice to have a
    'rebuildworld' target that uses dot files similar to the way bsd.port.mk
    uses them to pick up where it left off.

						-Matt

    Matthew Dillon  Engineering, HiWay Technologies, Inc. & BEST Internet
                    Communications & God knows what else.
    <dillon@backplane.com> (Please include original email in any response)