Date:      Fri, 6 Apr 2001 11:39:36 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Chris Dillon <cdillon@wolves.k12.mo.us>
To:        Cy Schubert - ITSD Open Systems Group <Cy.Schubert@uumail.gov.bc.ca>
Cc:        <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: TCP New Reno algorithm

On Thu, 5 Apr 2001, Cy Schubert - ITSD Open Systems Group wrote:

> Since upgrading some of our FreeBSD systems to the latest -stable,
> we've noticed that our Veritas backup throughput from the upgraded
> FreeBSD clients to our Veritas server, a Sun 450, had dropped to
> about 3 packets per second.  Disabling the TCP New Reno algorithm
> (sysctl -w net.inet.tcp.newreno=0) returned our Veritas backup
> throughput to about 70 packets per second.

I just did a quick test with Veritas NetBackup BusinesServer 3.4
running on NT4 and FreeBSD 3.4-RC using the native FreeBSD NetBackup
client.  For a particular backup set (about 450MB), with New Reno
enabled I get 3404.282KB/sec, and without New Reno I get
3192.508KB/sec.  This is a backup to a local disk on the NT4 box, not
tape, so tape throughput isn't a limiting factor.  Turning off New
Reno actually hurt throughput just a little bit.  The client and
server aren't on the same 100MBit Ethernet network, they're separated
by another FreeBSD 3.4-RC (New Reno enabled) box acting as a router.
Maybe you're seeing a bad New Reno interaction with Solaris itself?

-- Chris Dillon - cdillon@wolves.k12.mo.us - cdillon@inter-linc.net
   FreeBSD: The fastest and most stable server OS on the planet.
   For IA32 and Alpha architectures. IA64, PPC, and ARM under development.
   http://www.freebsd.org