Date:      Sat, 12 Jul 2008 17:59:32 +0200
From:      Kris Kennaway <kris@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Michel Talon <talon@lpthe.jussieu.fr>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Upgrading through packages: an experience.

Michel Talon wrote:
> On Sat, Jul 12, 2008 at 04:35:29PM +0200, Kris Kennaway wrote:
>> Michel Talon wrote:
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> Since KDE recently appeared in the Latest prebuilt packages
>> Well, it's always been there, except when it could not be built.
>>

> Well it was not here ten days ago, i think, when it was discussed in this
> mailing list. I checked, this days and several days afterwards. Then
> i saw since perhaps 2 or 3 days.

OK.  FYI in such situations it is quite often the case that the port
itself cannot be compiled from scratch, at least in certain environments
approximating the pointyhat one.  Otherwise the package might compile
but fail QA tests like whether the packing list is correct.

Of course, such issues do not happen if you update between releases,
since extensive QA goes into the release package set, so the upgrade
process for users with less aggressive update schedules should be even
better.

>> No, they are.  In fact this is a key design feature, and the same reason
>> why sometimes certain packages do not appear on the FTP site (if they
>> did appear they would be necessarily *out* of sync).  Similarly they are
>> always built against recent versions of -STABLE, by design.
>
> So there has been some changes between 7.0-RELEASE and STABLE since
> i have just got some minutes ago:
>
> niobe% wget http://myfreebsd.homeunix.net/csup.core
> /libexec/ld-elf.so.1: /lib/libc.so.7: version FBSD_1.1 required by wget
> not found
>
> I did not remember that versioned symbols were in FreeBSD-7. Of course
> after a rebuild, wget works. I had another similar problem somewhere,
> but all others were related to fcntl() locking (*) problems.

Both of these issues sound like compatibility problems within RELENG_7.
    In principle we don't strictly support running binaries compiled for
newer systems on older systems, but ABI breakage events should be rare
and deliberate, and it is possible that these were made by accident.

I have raised the memrchr issue with the developer and the release
engineers.  I don't know the cause of the fcntl issue though, so perhaps
you could re-raise it on stable@.

>> Glad to hear your experience was generally positive though.
>>

> Yes, very positive. In particular a point i forgot to stress, the
> coverage of the prebuilt packages is excellent now, as can be testified
> by the fact that only 19 ports had to be compiled while 877 packages
> were present. This is thanks to you and your work on the cluster.
> One aim of my message was to show that, at present, the coverage is so
> good that one can envision a Debian-like experience on FreeBSD when
> doing binary upgrades, even going through considerable evolutions.

Thanks!

Kris