Date:      Wed, 7 Apr 1999 14:19:28 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Julian Elischer <julian@whistle.com>
Cc:        Archie Cobbs <archie@whistle.com>, Christopher Michaels <ChrisMic@clientlogic.com>, gjb@comkey.com.au, questions@FreeBSD.ORG, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Veto? (was: Debug kernel by default (was: System size with -g))

On Tuesday,  6 April 1999 at 19:21:30 -0700, Julian Elischer wrote:
> On Wed, 7 Apr 1999, Greg Lehey wrote:
>>
>> Have you tried this out?  I have.  I did the following on a 486DX/2-66
>> with 16 MB, running 2.2.6:
>>
>> 		time		build directory size
>>  no symbols	34 min		5 MB
>>  symbols	44 min		25 MB
>
> On my P90
>
> non-symbols.. about 6 minutes
> symbols... about 25 minutes :-) (running X machine was unusable however)
>
> this is from memory.. I added more RAM (and anyhow build on another machine
>  now :-)

I don't even rely on my own memory :-)  Evidence is more convincing.

>> Does anybody want to execute a power of veto, or shall I commit some
>> changes?
>
> If you turn it on, make it a DEAD SNAP to turn it off
> (maybe even look as sysctl hw.usermem or something.)

I think a sysctl would be wrong.  Environment variable if you want.
But I think config -s would be the way to go.  Maybe I can print an
explicit message:

  # config GENERIC
  Building kernel with full symbolic support.  Do "config -s GENERIC"
  for historic partial symbolic support.

  Don't forget to do a ``make depend''
  Kernel build directory is ../../compile/GENERIC,

Greg