Date:      Wed, 05 Sep 2001 12:44:29 -0700
From:      David Johnson <djohnson@acuson.com>
To:        =?iso-8859-1?Q?S=F8ren?= Neigaard <neigaard@e-box.dk>
Cc:        freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: . files?

Søren Neigaard wrote:
                     .profile
> In their home dir. What are they all for, witch are read when? Well...
> If someone could please give me a short intro into the dot file world,
> I would be very pleased.

A quickie lesson (I don't know them all), but man might...

.login = login file for csh, tcsh
.profile = login file for sh, bash

These files are read when a user logs in. Typically they set the path,
etc.

.cshrc = shell file for csh, tcsh
.shrc = shell file for sh, bash (sometimes named .bashrc for bash)

These are sourced every time you start a new shell.

.history = command line history for use with bash history.

David