Date:      Wed, 01 Dec 1999 13:23:52 +0200
From:      Sheldon Hearn <sheldonh@uunet.co.za>
To:        Ariel Burbaickij <Ariel.Burbaickij@mni.fh-giessen.de>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: problem with jdk aliviated on very strange manner

On Tue, 30 Nov 1999 20:57:11 +0100, Ariel Burbaickij wrote:

> I removed kaffe altogether and afterwards I managed to coerce jdk
> components to run.Why is it so strange to me?Because previously
> components of jdk were complaining about being not able to FIND
> /usr/local/bin/kaffe.

I've explained this in private mail, but for the benefit of others:

	The kaffe package installs its own javac shell script into
	/usr/local/bin .

	You probably had /usr/local/bin in your PATH envar already.

	You probably added /usr/local/jdk1.1.8/bin to the _end_ of
	your PATH envar.

	When the shell searched your PATH for javac, it found kaffe's
	shell script in /usr/local/bin instead of the jdk's binary in
	/usr/local/jdk1.1.8/bin .

Ciao,
Sheldon.