Date:      Wed, 28 May 2003 16:10:35 +0200
From:      "Didier Wiroth" <freebsd@mcesr.etat.lu>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   FW: ssh and resolv.conf question

The reverse lookup zone is installed and works but, it did not resolve =
the
problem!

Adding nameserver 192.168.0.2 or nameserver 127.0.0.1 as first entry in
resolve.conf still produces the extreme delay (30-40 sec) between the
username and password prompt with an ssh client??!!

When I remove these entries an add two external dns servers, the problem =
is
solved, why?

Thanks for any help

Wiroth Didier wrote:
[ ... ]
> Now the problem: when I use the "Case2" resolv.conf file
> and I try to log on with my ssh client to 192.168.0.2
> "Login as:" appears quite instantly but the password
> prompts takes about 50 seconds to appear!
>=20
> When I change back resolv.conf to "Case1" there is no problem,=20
> "password:" appears rapidely after having entered the username!
>=20
> What it is the problem?

Setting up reverse DNS, or adding the machines to /etc/hosts will almost =

certainly help with that sort of delay.  Note that you should probably =
only
use=20
a "search" line, not "domain" and "search".

-Chuck