Date:      Tue, 31 Dec 2002 19:30:43 +0100
From:      Miguel Mendez <flynn@energyhq.homeip.net>
To:        Cliff Sarginson <cls@raggedclown.net>
Cc:        FreeBSD-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: adduser .. revisited, an apology .. oh come on

On Tue, 31 Dec 2002 19:16:31 +0100
Cliff Sarginson <cls@raggedclown.net> wrote:

> Adding a user should  not be rocket science,

It isn't.

> If the old time Bill Joy lovers would realise that 'csh" sucks big
> time, we may avoid a lot of problems.

You can always use /bin/sh, and yes, it does history (set -o emacs)

> If anyone can prove to me that "csh" is superior in any respect to
> bash, then please tell me.

-r-xr-xr-x  2 root  wheel  841916 Dec 31 15:16 /bin/tcsh
-rwxr-xr-x  1 root  wheel  1036396 Nov 17 13:30 /usr/local/bin/bash

tcsh is good enough for interactive use (others like zsh as well), and
many people have grown to hate bash for one very simple reason. In
another attempt at 'embrace and extend', GNU added some features to
plain sh that remained functional even when invoked as /bin/sh. That
lead to broken scripts that only ran on GNU/Linux systems.

Now I feel fad for feeding a troll, let this thread die already :)

Happy new year.
--
        Miguel Mendez - flynn@energyhq.homeip.net
        GPG Public Key :: http://energyhq.homeip.net/files/pubkey.txt