Date:      Sun, 21 Oct 2007 12:00:53 +0900
From:      Pyun YongHyeon <pyunyh@gmail.com>
To:        Garrett Cooper <youshi10@u.washington.edu>
Cc:        net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Marvell chipsets on 8-CURRENT and XP x64 won't talk with one another

On Fri, Oct 19, 2007 at 05:41:05PM -0700, Garrett Cooper wrote:
 > Mike Silbersack wrote:
 > >
 > >On Fri, 19 Oct 2007, Garrett Cooper wrote:
 > >
 > >>Hi,
 > >>    In an effort to connect my 2 machines up -- the FreeBSD 8-CURRENT
 > >>and the Windows box, for filesharing via SMB I've installed samba3
 > >>and done that song and dance to get things to work. The really weird
 > >>thing is that my 2 machines will talk via ICMP with one another, but
 > >>not via TCP and/or UDP (connections time out). Thinking that it was
 > >>just a samba3 issue, I tried ssh as well (Cygwin installed), and ssh
 > >>connections (Windows to FreeBSD) fails with connection timeouts as well.
 > >>    Both machines have Marvell onboard chipsets and will communicate
 > >>with my Mac OSX 10.4.9 iBook (has a Broadcom chipset) without issue
 > >>(in fact that's what I'm using as my 'bridge' right now). I tried
 > >>also using an SMB client via my Xbox but that failed as well (then
 > >>again the XBMC SMB client tended to be really quirky if setup
 > >>incorrectly).
 > >>    I'm not sure where to start, so if there are any ideas I'd be
 > >>more than happy to hear them. This issue has been occurring from
 > >>7-CURRENT built in late September to 8-CURRENT built 6 days ago.
 > >>Thanks,
 > >>-Garrett
 > >
 > >Just to clarify, how are the two hooked together?  Is it over gigabit
 > >switch, a 10mbps hub, or directly cabled together?
 > >
 > >-Mike
 >
 >    Sure. They're both connected over a gigabit switch, but the Windows
 > driver's kind of sketchy because it keeps on switching between 100MBit
 > and 1GBit. I haven't really paid that much attention to what speed the
 > FreeBSD msk driver is registering at.

I'm not sure but it looks like bad-cabling issue. Gigabit link
partners requires four-pair RJ-45 cable to establish 10/100/1000Mbps
link.
The e1000phy(4) has lack of downshift feature of Marvell PHY. Without
the downshift feature two-pairs RJ-45 cable can negotiate to 1000Mbps
but fails to link with link-partner. Activating downshift feature will
retry to link at 10Mbps or 100Mbps such that you can send/receive
frames at 10/100Mbps.
Unfortunately, the bit positions that enable the downshift feature is
different for each PHY models and the vendor didn't release these
information to developers. Even if we had managed to make downshift
feature available for the PHY there are no user interface to get/set
the feature in mii layer. Flow-controls, master/slave configuration,
MDI/MDIX selection, polarity correction, DTE detection and downshift
feature needs more work in mii layer, I guess.

--
Regards,
Pyun YongHyeon