Date:      Fri, 29 Sep 2000 11:49:44 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Russell D. Murphy, Jr." <rdmurphy@vt.edu>
To:        Stable@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   3.5-stable breakage: kernel and arc4random?

I have two 3.5-stable boxes which update weekly; both cvsup'd this
morning at slightly different times.  One of them (neale) now can't
build a kernel:

   tcp_input.o: In function `tcp_input':
   tcp_input.o(.text+0x9b1): undefined reference to `arc4random'
   tcp_input.o(.text+0xf86): undefined reference to `arc4random'
   tcp_subr.o: In function `tcp_init':
   tcp_subr.o(.text+0x7): undefined reference to `arc4random'
   tcp_timer.o: In function `tcp_slowtimo':
   tcp_timer.o(.text+0xcf): undefined reference to `arc4random'
   tcp_usrreq.o: In function `tcp_connect':
   tcp_usrreq.o(.text+0x70b): undefined reference to `arc4random'
   *** Error code 1

This is from a GENERIC kernel; the results are the same on its own
kernel config file.  The other machine (cashel) is fine.  I tried
re-cvsup-ing a short while ago; nothing changed.

Neale pulled down new versions of

   /usr/src/sys/netinet/tcp_seq.h
   /usr/src/sys/netinet/tcp_subr.c

which cashel did not.

Neale does seem to have built (and installed) libc with arc4random:

   neale# nm /usr/lib/libc | grep arc4
   0005c420 T arc4random
   0005c3a4 T arc4random_addrandom
   0005c350 T arc4random_stir

I'm mystified; this machine has been updated weekly for months with no
problems.

I'll be grateful for any help you can send my way.

Thanks-

Russ

--
Russell D. Murphy