Date:      Sat, 24 May 2014 08:01:27 +0200
From:      Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>
To:        freebsd@dreamchaser.org
Subject:   Re: write-protected usb flash drive

On Fri, 23 May 2014 18:26:44 -0600, Gary Aitken wrote:
> I'm having trouble locating what I want --
> a physically write-protected flash drive.
> My searches so far have come up empty.
> Thought someone here would know of one if it exists.
> I don't want or need additional encryption gimicks on it.
> Anyone know of one?  32G or larger

I have been using something similar, even though it's not _exactly_
what you're asking for. My "solution" (haha): Get a SD card with
the required capacity and initialize it as intended. Then use the
write protection slider. The card is now write protected. Then get
a USB card drive (usually in the shape of a regular USB stick, for
example a USK SD/MMC/MS-MMC USB 2.0 card drive) and put the card in.
Now you have a write-protected USB drive. :-)

There are two advantages:

a) In case of media failure, just replace the SD card.

b) In case of reader failure, just replace the drive.

Additional fun: If you use a SD->=B5SD adapter, you can also use a
micro-SD card. The adapter then provides the write protection slider.
The mentioned advantages still apply. :-)

--=20
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany
Happy FreeBSD user since 4.0