Date:      Thu, 9 Aug 2007 15:43:10 +0200
From:      Bram Schoenmakers <bramschoenmakers@xs4all.nl>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Problem with dump over SSH: Operation timed out

Op donderdag 09 augustus 2007, schreef u:

> Try using a much lower MTU, something like 1400 or perhaps lower,
> just for testing. You should configure this, on both client and server.
>
> I'm not familiar with ipf to give the exact rule, but I would allow
> ALL ICMP traffic, at least for testing purposes. I think this is
> correct:
> pass out quick proto icmp from any to any
> pass in quick proto icmp from any to any
>
> somewhere above the "block in log quick on re0 all" rule.
>
> Hope this helps a bit
>
> Nikos

Thank you for your answer.

I have added the 'pass in for icmp' rule to the firewall (pass out did already
exist). There was a noticable improvement, the /usr dump came much further
than before. But at about 80% there was the timeout again.

I tried lowering the MTU value at the server side, but nearly all other
network traffic stopped working, so that is not the way to go.

Kind regards,

--
Bram Schoenmakers

What is mind? No matter. What is matter? Never mind.
(Punch, 1855)