Date:      Mon, 17 Jan 2005 17:30:21 -0800
From:      Bill Campbell <freebsd@celestial.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: window managers don't work over ssh

On Tue, Jan 18, 2005, cpghost@cordula.ws wrote:
>On Mon, Jan 17, 2005 at 11:43:27PM +0000, Xian wrote:
>> I cant seem to make any window manager work over ssh, but they all work
>> locally. I am using Xorg now, and i didn't have this problem with XFree86.
>>
>> I start X with just xterm for testing:
>>
>>  startx /usr/X11R6/bin/xterm
>>
>> and then type
>>
>>  ssh -CXf my.home.machine twm
>
>Hello Xian,
>
>sometimes using -Y instead of -X solves a lot of X11 forwarding
>problems. Not sure if it would solve your problem, but did you try this?

Several conditions have to be met to forward X11 using ssh/openssh:

  1.  The sshd_config file on the machine you're connecting to has to have
      ``X11Forwarding yes'' set.

  2.  On the client machine, the ssh_config file needs ``ForwardX11 yes''
      or the ssh command must use the ``-X'' option.

  3.  On newer versions of openssh, the client ssh_config must have
      ``ForwardX11Trusted yes''.

Bill
--
INTERNET:   bill@Celestial.COM  Bill Campbell; Celestial Software LLC

``Find out just what people will submit to, and you have found out the
exact amount of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them; and
these will continue until they are resisted with either words or blows, or
both. The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom
they oppress.'' -- Frederick Douglass.