Date:      Sun, 20 Jun 1999 16:57:23 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Oliver Fromme <olli@dorifer.heim3.tu-clausthal.de>
To:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: audio-Device gone mute

Christian Weisgerber wrote in list.freebsd-current:
 > My audio-Device just seems to have gone mute. (I was fiddling around
 > with "tosha -o - | pcmplay -" at the time.) Various attempts to produce
 > sounds with pcmplay, mpg123, and cat >/dev/audio now remain silent.
 > According to aumix, the mixer state is okay.
 >
 > Conf: 4.0-CURRENT (May 29), ES1370 (Soundblaster PCI 64) with pcm(4).
 >
 > mpg123 always reports "[0:00]", so apparently writes block somewhere.
 > Any idea what has happened, and, more importantly, how can I reset the
 > sound driver other than rebooting?

Did you check (with fstat or lsof) if there's still
another process which has the audio device open?
(Maybe some pcmplay process gone wild...  Although
in that case it shouldn't block, but rather print
"device busy" or something like that.)

Regards
   Oliver

--
Oliver Fromme, Leibnizstr. 18/61, 38678 Clausthal, Germany

"In jedem Stück Kohle wartet ein Diamant auf seine Geburt"
                                         (Terry Pratchett)