Date:      Sun, 28 Jun 1998 14:59:02 -0400
From:      Daniel Guetzkow <guetzkow@access.digex.net>
To:        "'freebsd-questions@freebsd.org'" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   NIC card pings OK from host, but not from network side

Help!
I am new to FreeBSD and networking, but was a system admin
for Unix Sys V in the mid-1980s, pre-ethernet, or I should say
when it was still too expensive for Motorola 68000 boxes.

Intel box, freebsd 2.2.6
NIC card pings OK from host, but not from network side.

Card is ISA Intel EtherExpress Pro/10+. I assume that it
can use the same driver as the Pro/10. (?) Mine has some
flash rom feature.

I have two Microsoft machines on this same ethernet-- they can
see each other OK-- they work fine. They are using
Realtek 8029 cards with appropriate drivers. I swapped the
Intel card for a junky NE2000 ISA knockoff card in the FreeBSD box and
"ifconfig -a" shows that it too is up & running, and have the exact same
problems. I tried other assigning other IRQs etc.

I'd installed the novice version of 2.2.6 right from the CDROM,
and ifconfig -a shows the NIC card as "UP...RUNNING" OK.
netstat -r shows the card as the default gateway. I even added
routes for the Microsoft hosts, but to no benefit. netstat shows
routes are there.

I can ping the NIC from the freebsd host fine. I cannot ping
either of the two Microsoft machines, nor can either of them
ping the FreeBSD host. It seems like some network layer
or lower incompatibility? Shouldn't be.......even changed cables,
and ran a Realtek utility from DOS boot to that box to demonstrate that
cable was OK.

Could the motherboard be problem? That same NIC DOS utility
could not get either of the FreeBSD box's cards to talk to the Realtek
cards. But the utility was not made for the Intel or NE2000 cards, so maybe
it just wouldn't run. That was pretty disappointing, and really left me in
the dark-- as the utility did not seem to be Realtek specific-- it
purported to be for any NE2000 compatible card.....

Ping on Microsoft shows 32 bits sent; ping on FreeBSD shows
56 bits sent. But I can ping out onto the internet from Microsoft
just fine-- so I doubt that is a problem, but it is an anomaly.

Comments?

From: Daniel Guetzkow just click here: mailto:guetzkow@access.digex.net