Date:      Wed, 26 Nov 1997 19:16:56 -0600
From:      dkelly@HiWAAY.net
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Has my de0 died?

Recently I noticed in email from the daily crontab script that my LAN
segment router's ethernet address changed over that weekend. Thought
that was a nice thing to know. Afterwards my de0 started acting up.
Problem has been recurring for weeks now.

Rebooted hoping something was amis in the ARP tables due to the router
swap. No luck. Built a new kernel from CTM src-2.2.0519 this afternoon.
No improvement. dmesg says:

de0 <Digital 21040 Ethernet> rev 35 int a irq 10 on pci0:13
de0: ZNYX ZX312 21040 [10Mb/s] pass 2.3
de0: address 00:c0:95:ec:91:aa
changing root device to sd0a
de0: enabling 10baseT port
de0: abnormal interrupt: receive process stopped
de0: link down: cable problem?

Think at this point I was sitting at the console and network
connections had halted, so I typed "ifconfig de0 down" then "ifconfig
de0 up" and it resumed. The first message below was spawned by the
"ifconfig de0 down" command.

de0: enabling 10baseT port
de0: system error: reserved #7

That #7 pops up a lot, but the next was a new message:

de0: abnormal interrupt: receive process stopped
de0: abnormal interrupt: receive process stopped
de0: abnormal interrupt: receive process stopped
de0: abnormal interrupt: receive process stopped
de0: abnormal interrupt: receive process stopped
de0: abnormal interrupt: receive process stopped
de0: link down: cable problem?

Other systems on the same cable segment aren't having any problems, but
they aren't FreeBSD. Will probably change out the card with an ISA
NE2000 on Friday and see if that helps.

Does this look like a hardware problem? Seems the de0 code has been
pretty solid and this card has been working well for almost a year. Or
is this a MB problem?

--
David Kelly N4HHE, dkelly@hiwaay.net