Date:      Sat, 21 Jul 2018 19:15:53 +0200
From:      Alexander Leidinger <Alexander@leidinger.net>
To:        Mark Johnston <markj@freebsd.org>, John Baldwin <jhb@freebsd.org>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: crashinfo doesn't support compressed crashdumps - which way forward?

This message is in MIME format and has been PGP signed.

--=_cRPOi6cJG8JUTZkp4QLMTYY

Quoting Mark Johnston <markj@freebsd.org> (from Thu, 12 Jul 2018=20=20
14:35:57=20-0400):

> On Thu, Jul 12, 2018 at 09:09:02AM -0700, John Baldwin wrote:

>> Yes, here's the patch for 2 which has been tested.  4) is pretty hard
>> to do in practice as you have to basically decompress into RAM when
>> reading the core to do anything useful as opposed to a format that
>> only compressed certain parts (e.g. if the page tables were not
>> compressed only the payload in a minidump, and if it were compressed
>> on some kind of block boundaries so that you could locate a given
>> block and decompress it when reading specific data).  Coming up with
>> such a format would be more useful but requires more work.
>
> That patch looks ok to me, FWIW.  As I pointed out, it's easy enough to
> just disable crashinfo if one doesn't want the extraction to take place.

Hi John,

what about committing this patch?
If you are too busy, do you mind if I commit it?

Bye,
Alexander.

--=20
http://www.Leidinger.net=20Alexander@Leidinger.net: PGP 0x8F31830F9F2772BF