Date:      Fri, 8 Aug 1997 18:17:45 +0930 (CST)
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        wwong@wiley.csusb.edu (William Wong)
Cc:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG (FreeBSD Chat)
Subject:   Re: Status of USB, TX chipset, PIIX3, etc.

William Wong writes:

>>> Do we remember when Bill Gates stated just a few years back that no one
>>> could possibly utilize all 640k of memory on the original IBM PC?
>>> Unfortunately, history does repeat itself even to those who do remember
>>> the past. :(
>>
>> If you think back a little harder, you'll recall that Bill Gates
>> wasn't the bogey man back then.  It was IBM.  And they were the people
>> who introduced the 640 kB limit.  I was using 86-DOS before the
>> introduction of the PC, and it had a 1 MB limit.
>>
>> Isn't it comforting to see that even Big Blue wasn't able to continue
>> ruling the world?
>
> Yeah, but MS is the one that popularized the IBM PC.  Besides, it's
> more fun picking on Bill. :)  Nothing good seems to come out of MS.
> MS just goes around absorbing technology from smaller companies.

Well, quite honestly, if there were no likes of Bill around to pick
on, I'd be a whole lot happier.  But the comfort to which I refer is
the fact that monoplies tend to trip over their own complacency.  When
the computer market becomes more sophisticated again, Microsoft will
either adapt or lose market share.  I suspect the latter.

> I actually have more respect for IBM; Their R&D isn't all that
> bad...

Right.  And we thought *they* were the enemy :-)

Greg