Date:      Wed, 9 Sep 1998 18:53:44 +0000 (GMT)
From:      "Jason C. Wells" <jason@washington.edu>
To:        YU-TING WEI <ywei+@andrew.cmu.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: A question about Xwindows

On Tue, 8 Sep 1998, YU-TING WEI wrote:

>Dear sir,
>
>I am a beginner in FreeBSD. I tried to install this operating system on
>my machine but I found out I can not open the Xwindows after finishing
>installation. Whenever I enter the command startx or xinit, there is a
>message "can't find startx(/xinit)" came out. The other functions work
>properly. Could you help me solve this problem?

Is there a directory named /usr/X11R6 on your computer?

Does your path have the /usr/X11R6/bin directory?

$ echo $PATH
/sbin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/home/jason/bin:/usr/X11R6/bin

Make sure X is actually installed and that your path statement is correct.

Catchya Later,		|	UW Mechanical Engineering
Jason Wells		|	http://weber.u.washington.edu/~jcwells/