Date:      17 Aug 2005 10:02:16 -0400
From:      Lowell Gilbert <freebsd-questions-local@be-well.ilk.org>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: dump & restore question

Alexander Shikoff <minotaur@crete.org.ua> writes:

> I maked two dumps of root filesystem with dump(8):
>  - the first of level 0 (all files)
>  - the second of level 3 on the next day after level 0 (all files new or
> modified since dump of level 0 or level 3)
>
> Now I'm trying to restore filesystem with restore(8):
> cat dump0 | (cd /mnt/ad0s1a && restore -ruyf -)
> cat dump3 | (cd /mnt/ad0s1a && restore -ruyf -)
>
> I'm getting next warning message:
> ./sbin/init: cannot create file: Operation not permitted
>
> And this warning appears for all files with `schg' flag.

Makes sense; even if you aren't at a raised securelevel, I'm not sure
you'd want restore to modify "unchangeable" files.  But then again,
one would need some way of handling your situation...

In any case, make sure you do this without securelevel.

> Question: why the dump of level 3 contains files which were not modified
> since dump of level 0?

It shouldn't (and doesn't for me).  Maybe the inode was changed for
some reason?