Date:      Sat, 26 Jan 2002 14:37:45 +0100 (CET)
From:      Martin Blapp <mb@imp.ch>
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: double fault with vinum and 4.5 RC3

Hi Greg,

> You still haven't explained why you're doing this.

/var and docsisvar both need bondarys. /var contains a mailspool,
and /docsis/var contains statistics.

I cannot have them all on the same partition, since that can fill
up the main /docsis partition quickly, so important services will fail.

> You need a disk first.

I have a disk ! but vinum does not like it it seems ;-)

> OK, this bears investigation.

# cat configfile
$ drive vinumdrive0 device /dev/da1s1e
$ drive vinumdrive2 device /dev/da1s1f
$ drive vinumdrive4 device /dev/da1s1g

vinum create configfile

I did not manage again to get vinum hanged. I get a double fault now
instantly.

> There's no such thing as a master or a slave disk in Vinum.

I know. This was just to "visualize" the problem a bit more.

> This is not necssary.

Until this problem is fixed, it is (for me at least)

> No.  It's all based on a misunderstanding of how Vinum works.

Huh ? I'n my opinion vinum should just deal fine with the described
procedure which crashes vinum.

> I'll wait for the dumps of the situations you show above.  We should
> also check the hangs.

I have now a crashdump for you available. More in private mail, ok ?

Martin