Date:      Thu, 26 Sep 1996 22:13:15 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Bryan K. Ogawa" <bkogawa@primenet.com>
To:        dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Booteasy cannot boot from wd0 (first IDE disk)

On Thu, 26 Sep 1996, Doug White wrote:

> On Thu, 26 Sep 1996, Bryan Ogawa wrote:
>

> > I have a machine which has a new IDE drive (1.6Gig Seagate).  I installed
> > 2.1.5 on it, and have encountered the following problem:
> >
> > Booteasy can find the drive, but it cannot reach the boot prompt.
>
> This is a sure sign of a geometry problem on your first disk.  Try
> reinstalling, this time make a small DOS partition, then delete it in the
> fdisk editor.

Argh.  Irritating, but unsurprising.  Is there any way to change the
geometry on the first disk without a reinstall?  And is there any way to
get the geometry correct without DOS?

While I can reinstall pretty easily, I'd just as soon not if there's any
other way to tell the drive about the correct drive geometry.  Especially
since I'm not sure I have real easy access to DOS.

Thanks!

bryan k ogawa  <bkogawa@primenet.com>   http://www.primenet.com/~bkogawa/