Date:      Thu, 22 Mar 2001 17:30:58 +0100 (CET)
From:      Jan Conrad <conrad@th.physik.uni-bonn.de>
To:        Matt Dillon <dillon@earth.backplane.com>
Cc:        Helge Oldach <Helge.Oldach@de.origin-it.com>, <bright@wintelcom.net>, <gordont@bluemtn.net>, <rdm@cfcl.com>, <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: NFS performance

On Wed, 21 Mar 2001, Matt Dillon wrote:

> :again, running on half-duplex, transfering 100Mb from a client to this
> :machine (merlin)
> :on client:
> :mount -t nfs -o intr,nfsv3,-r=32768,-w=32768 merlin:/freebsd/misc /mnt
> :dd if=/dev/zero of=/mnt/zero bs=16k count=64x100
> :104857600 bytes transferred in 12.765062 secs (8214422 bytes/sec)
> :
> :at the same time, netstat -I fxp0 -w 1 gives me
>
>     Those numbers are fairly good for a half-duplex link.  It should work
>     almost as well with the default blocksize of 8K, even with the additional
>     return traffic.  If it doesn't, something is wrong somewhere.

Well, see below.
Any hints on how to find out what might be wrong?

>     In anycase, setting the interface and the switch to full duplex
>     (if possible) would give you even better results.  You should be
>     able to max-out the transfer rate for writes at 10MB/sec or so even
>     using the default 8K block size.

Hmm, today we set our two boxes to full-duplex.
With UDP, block size=8192 we get around 3Mb/s (tcp 3.5Mb/s)
With UDP, block size=16384 we get around 9.5 Mb/s (tcp 9Mb/s)
With UDP, block size=32768 we get around 9.3 Mb/s (tcp 5.4Mb/s)

--
Physikalisches Institut der Universitaet Bonn
Nussallee 12