Date:      Mon, 05 Oct 1998 21:00:37 -0400
From:      "Louis A. Mamakos" <louie@TransSys.COM>
To:        Jeroen Ruigrok/Asmodai <asmodai@wxs.nl>
Cc:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>, Jerry Hicks <jhicks@glenatl.glenayre.com>, FreeBSD Small <freebsd-small@FreeBSD.ORG>, Andrzej Bialecki <abial@nask.pl>
Subject:   Re: Command-line i/f (Re: PicoBSD)

> >Not even that.  IOS's command interface is a festering abomination.
> >Emulating it would be a major error.
>
> Want to support yer statement? =) Just curious about the how and why...

It's horrible.

It suffers from trying to be backwards comptible with ancient code, and
being extended into new and wonderful directions.

Here's a trick:  examine a Cisco router configuration, and try to figure
out which configuration lines affect a particular router interface.
Outside of the obvious interface commands, you have route-maps, access
lists, routing protocol interface subcommends sprinked everywhere.

Yes, the context specific command completion is great (and almost
necessary given the complexity of the underlying goo), but  I wouldn't
take a lot more than that.

louie