Date:      Tue, 1 Oct 2002 17:54:02 -0400
From:      "Liquid" <liquid@liquidonline.ca>
To:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Bare minimum requirements for FreeBSD installation

Hey everyone.  A family member asked me to setup a gateway in his house
so that the internet can be shared between a couple of tenants.  I
realize it can be very easily done using a router, but I have this
486dx2 50mhz at home with 8mb ram.  It has a 300mb and 640mb hd in it
too.  If I only wish to run a simple router setup using ipfilter and
ipnat, will it run FreeBSD? The only other services running being ssh
and perhaps ftp and I couldn't care less about how fast it runs, as long
as it "does its job" adequately.  One other thing, seeing as it'll be
sharing PPPoE adsl, I'll have PPP running in dedicated mode at all
times.

The reason I'm asking is because it only has 30-pin simm ram slots, and
I haven't even seen any for sale anywhere, nevermind whether or not its
close to reasonable.  I realize that if it would have 16 MHz it would
probably run just fine.

That brings the list of stuff running to
ppp -d
ftpd (maybe, I might just use the old burn a cdrom and drive over method
instead)0
openssh
ipnat
ipfilter