Date:      Tue, 6 May 2003 15:48:21 -0400
From:      "Laszlo Vagner" <george@vagner.com>
To:        "agent dero" <dero@bluhayz.homeunix.org>, <freebsd-performance@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: The magical missing 6 megabytes of mysterious RAM

typical BIOS chips are about 1 megabyte and there is an option in the
bios to copy the flash bios contents into physical ram for more performance
on some systems (some can be disabled too).

My idea is that everything before the bios and including the kernel is
copied to
ram. naturally you couldnt run the kernel out of the flash memory or off
the hard disk. Additional kernel drivers would take more ram also.