Date:      Mon, 23 Mar 1998 10:12:08 -0800 (PST)
From:      Simon Shapiro <shimon@simon-shapiro.org>
To:        The Hermit Hacker <scrappy@hub.org>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG, pgsql-ports@postgresql.org, Andreas Klemm <andreas@klemm.gtn.com>
Subject:   RE: pgaccess doesn't run on -current anymore, possibly shared li

On 23-Mar-98 The Hermit Hacker wrote:

..

>> > I am earnestly compiling...
>>
>> OK.  With PostgreSQL CVSup'ed ten minutes ago:
>>
>> a.  --with-perl fails to compile with some syntax errors
>
>> b.  --with-tcl fails to do anything usefu;
>
>       More fixes for this went in this morning...

I'll check again this morning.

>> c.  Manually compiling fails, as the ports .mk file insists that all
>>     ``generic'' tcl headers be removed, and thus there is no
>>     /usr/local/include/tcl.h.  this was fixed in
>>     src/pgsql/src/interfaces/Makefile.
>
>       Where do the .mk files fall into this??

They insist that all traces of /usr/local/include/tcl.h,
/usr/local/lib/libtcl.* are removed before any tcl/tk will be built.
There was a whole thread on this.  Sorry.  Not the ports tree, but make
world or something.  The FreeBSD ``port'' of PostgreSQL needs to acomodate
this.

>> d.  /usr/local/bin/wish8.1 -f ~/src/pgsql/src/bin/pgaccess/pgaccess.tcl
>>     produced:
>>
>> Error in startup script: couldn't load file "libpgtcl.so": Undefined
>> symbol
>> "_PQnotifies" in wish8.1:libpgtcl.so
>>     while executing
>> "load libpgtcl.so"
>>     (procedure "main" line 3)
>>     invoked from within
>> "main $argc $argv
>
>       Known bug, but apparently just FreeBSD related...at least insofar
> as I can't reproduce it under Solaris, just under FreeBSD...

To me most of tcl looks like (most likely) Hebrew to you :-)  I really
cannot fix it with any reasonable efficiency :-((

Any volunteers?  Access to a machine can be made to trusty parties.