Date:      Wed, 28 Jul 1999 11:48:43 -0400
From:      "Steve Friedrich" <SteveFriedrich@Hot-Shot.com>
To:        "FreeBSD Questions" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Sysadmin question about network startup

I have an old 486/66 running FreeBSD 2.2.8 acting as an Internet
gateway for my home LAN.  It provides dial-on-demand PPP access to my
ISP.  Recently, I've modified it to get the current time from my ISP
via ntpdate (during initial boot) and I provide time services to local
workstations via xntpd.

The problem is that the PPP connection doesn't get started until
rc.local, which is long after rc.network,  therefore ntpdate can't
access my ISP.

In which rc file should I start my PPP?  I'm using user-land PPP.

Please note that I'm looking for an answer from someone able to answer
according to "official" system admin practice.  I can engineer a hack
myself 8o)

Steve Friedrich

Windows 98: n.
        useless extension to a minor patch release for 32-bit extensions
and
        a graphical shell for a 16-bit patch to an 8-bit operating system
        originally coded for a 4-bit microprocessor, written by a 2-bit
        company that can't stand for 1 bit of competition.