Date:      Wed, 26 Jul 2000 22:08:19 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Christopher Shumway <cshumway@bsdi.com>
To:        Chris BeHanna <behanna@zbzoom.net>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG, stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Fixit media (Re: URGENT: bad superblock)

On Wed, 26 Jul 2000, Chris BeHanna wrote:

> > Can I just burn a CD with boot.flp as the boot image and the
> > filesystem from my existing machine and expect it to work ?
>
>     Hmm...I don't know if there's something else that has to be done
> to make a CD bootable.  Isn't there a target somewhere for making the
> ISO images?

No, you need to specify the boot image in your cdrom image pre-master
software.  With mkhybrid, which is what I use, you give it the boot image
relitive to the root of the cdrom with the -b command line option.  For
example:

#!/bin/sh
echo "Creating image file for disc 1..."
mkhybrid -a -r -v -T -V "FreeBSD" -b floppies/boot.flp -c boot.catalog \
-o /a/projects/bsd/bsd1.iso /a/projects/bsd/disc1

Both the -b and -c swithes are necessary to make a bootable cdrom.