Date:      Thu, 12 Nov 1998 01:09:39 +0100 (CET)
From:      Andrzej Bialecki <abial@nask.pl>
To:        The Hermit Hacker <scrappy@hub.org>
Cc:        =?ISO-8859-2?Q?S=F8ren_Schmidt?= <sos@freebsd.dk>, daeron@Wit401305.student.utwente.nl, shawn@cpl.net, osa@etrust.ru, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: StarOffice-5.0...

On Wed, 11 Nov 1998, The Hermit Hacker wrote:

> 	Just curious, but what exactly does that '/proc/*/cmdline' thing
> "do", and is there any reason why it is inappropriate for it to be a
> standard part of our /proc?

It\s just a copy of the argv[0]. Why the programs can\t access their
argv[0] instead is beyond me - looks like a very stupid thing...

> 	When talkign with friends that use Linux, and talking about our
> /proc file system, they think its hilarious that I can't go into proc and
> find out what irqs are being used by the system...maybe I'm missing
> something, but about the only way I can do it currently is to look through
> dmesg output?  Is there another way?

>From my POV, it's hilarious to go to /proc to read the hardware
parameters of the system - the name "proc" is supposed to mean "info
related to processes", isn't it?

Andrzej Bialecki

 <abial@nask.pl>       ||PicoBSD||   FreeBSD in your pocket? Go and see:
 Research & Academic   |+-------+|       "Small & Embedded FreeBSD"