Date:      Wed, 1 Jul 1998 17:52:40 +0200
From:      Johann Visagie <wjv@cityip.co.za>
To:        "Garcia, Joe D. (WANG)" <garciajd@bp.com>, "'freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG'" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        jgarcia1@hotmail.com
Subject:   Re: upcoming version upgrades?

On Wed, 01 Jul 1998 at 11:14 SAT, Garcia, Joe D. (WANG) wrote:

> I was told by a person who is a UNIX admin that he was reading that
> freebsd will not be going further than version 4.4 and that I had to

I think you (or your admin friend) may be confusing FreeBSD with BSD _per
se_.  Without going into any detail at all, the group which developed the BSD
operating system at UC Berkeley has disbanded.  The last major release from
them was 4.4BSD.

FreeBSD (and OpenBSD and NetBSD) are volunteer efforts not only to maintain
the code originating at Berkeley, but to update and add to it continually.
At present, the stable releases of FreeBSD are numbered 2.2.x  The
development releases are numbered 3.x

> make a decision on whether I would go with Linux or freebsd, they are
> both excellent operating systems, but the freebsd is alot more stable.

If FreeBSD can lay claim to greater stability it is (amongst other things)
because it's built on this established and well-tested code base.

Note that I said "stable", not "stagnant".  ;-)  FreeBSD, as such, is
certainly being developed very actively.

-- V

Johann Visagie | Email: wjv@CityIP.co.za | Tel: +27 21 419-7878