Date:      Sun, 5 Sep 1999 23:20:25 -0600 (MDT)
From:      "Kenneth D. Merry" <ken@kdm.org>
To:        wilko@yedi.iaf.nl (Wilko Bulte)
Cc:        rene@canyon.demon.nl, freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FBSD3.3RC + UMAX astra 1220S + NCR810 => panic

Wilko Bulte wrote...
> As Kenneth D. Merry wrote ...
> > It sounds like there may be a couple of things going on.  First, your
> > scanner may not be returning sense information properly.
> >
> > Second, the NCR driver may be doing something wrong.
> >
> > It would be helpful if you could hook this up to your 7890 controller and
> > see what happens.  In general, the Adaptec driver behaves a little better
> > than the NCR driver.
>
> The relevant code snippet is:
>
>  } else if (ccb->csio.scsi_status ==
>                                    SCSI_STATUS_CHECK_COND
>                                 && status != CAM_AUTOSENSE_FAIL) {
>                                 /* no point in decrementing the retry count
> */
>                                 panic("cam_periph_error: scsi status of "
>                                       "CHECK COND returned but no sense "
>                                       "information is availible.  "
>                                       "Controller should have returned "
>                                       "CAM_AUTOSENSE_FAILED");
>                                 /* NOTREACHED */
>                                 error = EIO;
>
> Even if we assume the scanner yelled for attention and/or the ncr
> driver is at fault I don't really understand why the cam layer
> decides to panic the machine. Wouldn't it be sufficient to return
> EIO, or maybe just whine on the console?

Well, perhaps.  My guess is that the intent was to catch problems with
incorrectly written device drivers.  It looks like it may have caught a
problem in the NCR driver somewhere. I can't remember the rationale behind
having a panic instead of a printf at the moment.

> IIRC I've seen systems report 'no sense' in their log files in situations
> like this (non-FreeBSD systems that is). So I *guess* there are
> SCSI devices out there that exhibit this behaviour..

Apparantly so.  I sent Rene a patch to turn the panic into a printf.  The
idea is that the error will get propagated back up, and we may be able to
get a better idea of just what is failing.

Ken
--
Kenneth Merry
ken@kdm.org