Date:      Sun, 28 Sep 2014 01:20:29 +1000 (EST)
From:      Ian Smith <smithi@nimnet.asn.au>
To:        Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>
Cc:        "William A. Mahaffey III" <wam@hiwaay.net>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Problems starting tor service ....

In freebsd-questions Digest, Vol 538, Issue 11, Message: 6
On Sat, 27 Sep 2014 06:43:16 +0200 Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de> wrote:

 > The important information is this:
 >
 > On Fri, 26 Sep 2014 22:19:07 -0500, William A. Mahaffey III wrote:
 > > # tor_enable (bool):    Set it to "YES" to enable tor. Default: NO
 > > # tor_conf (str):       Points to your torrc file.
 > > #                       Default: /usr/local/etc/tor/torrc
 > > # tor_user (str):       Tor daemon user. Default: _tor
 > > # tor_datadir (str):    Tor datadir.  Default: /var/db/tor
 > > # tor_logfile (str):    Tor log file.  Default: /var/log/tor
 > > # tor_loglevel (str):   Tor log severity level.  Default: notice
 >
 > Here, /var/db/tor has to be a directory accessible by the tor
 > user, and /var/log/tor has to be a file. Probably those have
 > to be present (as the following lines list them as required).

Likely.  I wonder why the installation didn't - or couldn't? - touch its
logfile?  syslogd needs files to preexist, assuming it's using syslog?

 > Check /usr/local/etc/tor/torrc if it makes any changes to the
 > default settings (shouldn't be, but have a look).
 >

 > > Sep 26 22:17:54.000 [warn] Couldn't open file for 'Log notice file
 > > /var/log/tor': Permission denied
 >
 > This seems to indicate that the file is present, but not
 > accessible. Check permissions and owner (should be "_tor"
 > with an underscore).

Not necessarily; it could indicate permission denied to create a new
file in /var/log (needing root)?  presumably tor is running as _tor?
Or it may have tried to open it for append?  Just guessing around ..

William, have you tried just ? # touch /var/log/tor

If tor wants to write to that file directly, as _tor:_tor and not root,
you'd likely need to # chown _tor:_tor /var/log/tor as well.

Again, it seems odd - well, broken - if the install didn't arrange that.

cheers, Ian