Date:      Thu, 22 Feb 1996 22:03:37 +0300 (MSK)
From:      "Maksim Stolyarov" <mns@td.lpi.ac.ru>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Video conflicts with WHAT? Help!

Dear Experts!

Recently I faced with very curious situation and really need your help.

Well, (main components of) the computer:
 - CPU:   Pentium-S, 100
 - MB:    ASUS P/I - P55TP4XEG (PCI, ISA & MediaBus, P5 up to 150 Mhz,
                                On Board PCI Bus Master IDE,
                                Super :-) Multi-I/O;
 - Video: ASUS PCI - AV264CT   (ATI Mach64 based + SoundBlaster),
 - NO other PCI or ISA cards.

THE PROBLEM:
 - I was able to install FreeBSD 2.1R to that computer only with
   ALL SIO[0-3] DISABLED! The installation passed OK with this but
   the computer is *really standalone* :) No mouse, no modem :(
 - The computer boots normally only if sio-probings are switched off.
   I mean under "normally" that I get visible "login:".
 - If I enable any of sio? (it does not matter what is ? -  0, 1, 2
   or 3; their BIOS allows to get what you whant) at very early stage
   of probings (I suspect at "sio") screen blanks. But what happens
   further does depend on sio-number. For some of them booting
   process continues (with blank screen) and finishes OK. I.e. I can
   login (blindly) and reboot (what else with blank screen?!). Works.
   For other values the machine hangs :( and I have to use Reset.

THE QUESTION:
 - What is a reason for such behavior? And how to make this computer
   to work with both serials and video in a standard way.

   I installed FreeBSD to many boxes previously without any difficulties.

MAYBE USEFUL INFO (from their VideoAudio-Doc):
 - Video Memory Address
   A000 - BFFF
 - Video BIOS Address
   C000 - C7FF
 - Video Port Address
   102, 1CE, 1CF, 2E8, 2EC, 2ED, 2EE, 2EF, 3B4, 3D4, 3B5, 3D5,
   3B8, 3D8, 3B9, 3D9, 3BA, 3DA, 3BB, 3DB, 3C0, 3C1, 3C2, 3C3,
   3C4, 3C5, 3C6, 3C7, 3C8, 3C9, 3CA, 3CC, 3CE, 3CF, 3DC,
   all aliases (in what sense? M.S.),
   46E8
 - Video interrupt
   PCI system auto-configurable (I do not understand).
 - I/O Address occupied bye the Audio Card
   200h - 207h    Game Port
   220h - 233h    Audio Interface
   330h - 331h    MPU-401 UART MIDI Interface
   388h - 38Bh    FM Music Synthezier
 - IRQ Line Settings
   Audio     5
   Mitsumi  11

        I can see (from above) evident possible address conflict
        between video and "com4". But nothing obvious that could
        explain the described behavior of the system.

        Thank you in advance,
        best regards,
                                                        Maksim.

        P.S. If possible send your ideas to mns@lpi.ac.ru please.