Date:      Tue, 20 Apr 2004 11:19:44 -0500
From:      "10,000 Screaming Monkeys" <bsd@in-flux.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Microsoft wireless mouse problem

Oops. I meant to reply to this sooner.

On 04/17, Mark Ovens rearranged the electrons to read:
>>>Ah, now that _does_ WFM, and that fact makes me suspect that the
>>>problem lies with the USB driver rather than the mouse driver.

I think you're probably correct in that the problem lies in the USB
driver. I'd previously written to a Matthew Will who posted to
freebsd-current a while back about this same problem. He replied saying
that the problem ended up being something to the effect of a silent exit
in the USB driver that caused the problem. That's something that's
outside of the scope of my knowledge to monkey with, but perhaps it'll
help somebody else who's reading this and sufficiently motivated...

I'm not sure what was different this past reboot, but I plugged the
mouse into the PS/2 port and added the "allscreens_flags" option to
/etc/rc.conf and now the wireless mouse works on both the console and in
X. Nothing I did would make it work when connected to the USB port.

Now, the mouse is detected as:

	psm0: <PS/2 Mouse> irq 12 on atkbdc0
	psm0: model IntelliMouse Explorer, device ID 4

/etc/rc.conf options look like this:

	moused_enable="yes"
	moused_type="auto"
	allscreens_flags="-m on"

/etc/X11/XF86Config options look like this:

	Section "InputDevice"
		Identifier  "Mouse0"
		Driver      "mouse"
		Option      "Protocol" "auto"
		Option      "Device" "/dev/sysmouse"
	EndSection

(I figured I'd deal with the extra buttons once I actually got it
working.)

So, it would appear I can at least use the mouse for now. Thanks again
for your suggestions.

- Jamie